Our signature windmill at the corner of Oakland Avenue and Old Farm Road underwent major repairs in November 2013. The windmill head (blade, tailfin, and gear box) was replaced. A photo library shows the removal of the old windmill head and replacement with the new head assembly.
In 1987 when the Old Farm Lakes (OFL) subdivision was established, a windmill from an old farm north of Interstate 55 and east of Pipeline Road was moved to its present site at our main entrance. The original windmill was over fifty feet tall and was cut down to its current forty-foot height before being erected. An article in the About OFL section on the History of the Old Farm Lakes subdivision, based on an interview with OFL founder Vern Prenzler, has more detail on the windmill history.
Periodic maintenance has been performed on the windmill over the years, including lubrication, painting and up lighting. In 2008 we were told the gears were getting bad and the windmill brake should remain on at all times to keep the blade from turning too fast.
Our Aermotor windmill was built in the 1930’s and with repair parts hard to come by the best option was to replace the head assembly (blade, tailfin, and gear box). Paul Behrends of Paul’s Windmill & Crane Service installed the new Aermotor head. A new mast pipe and service platform were also installed and the wording “Old Farm Lakes” was added to the new tailfin.
The tower remains in good shape and will need to be repainted in the near future. With continued regular maintenance our signature windmill should last for many years to come. The windmill can now be allowed to turn freely in the wind but will be locked down during high wind conditions.